Social Justice & Breath Prayers
Feb 25, 2021 | Betty Brandt
Action Steps Week of Feb 25, 2021
- JOIN THE METHODIST FEDERATION FOR SOCIAL ACTION
Methodist Federation for Social Action (MFSA) is an intersectional social justice nonprofit that mobilizes Justice-Seeking People of Faith to take action on issues of peace, poverty and people’s rights within the church, the nation, and the world. It is a network of chapters, communities, churches, and individuals that believe our Christian faith calls us to work toward a more justice-filled church, nation, and world. Their work is focused on racial, climate, economic, gender, LGBTQ+, reproductive justice and peace building. St. Luke’s Community for Contemplation & Justice will join as a Justice Seeking Community. To become a dues paying member click here. Please email Betty Brandt if you become a paying member.
- LEARN AND PRACTICE THIS BREATH PRAYER
Breath Prayers are an ancient form of prayer and are easily learned and used wherever and whenever you desire a quiet moment – even during a zoom meeting.
The most common form of breath prayer is known as “The Jesus Prayer.”
1) Inhale. Fill your whole self with breath.
2) Feel air in your lungs. And then say: “Lord Jesus Christ, son of God,”
3) Exhale slowly and fully and say: “Have mercy on me, your beloved child.”
4) And simply repeat this practice. Start with ten good breaths in and out, with the words.
5) Try to breathe through this prayer for five quiet minutes.